(Original version, prior to Transitioning to Open-Source Status)
Variability Institute was formed 10 years ago (but HPD’s history began long before that – see Background/Unusual History); we have kept a 95% silent/invisible profile till now to:
- Enable total immersion in developing/productizing the HPD Software, and in writing the HPD Book(s)
- Enable making an immediate impact on all affected disciplines and application areas when launched
(Note: Consistent with our product developing background, we did not publish piece-wise results, in contrast to researchers’ practice.)
The HPD Principals**:
- Jean Parks (Ph.D. in Math), Founder & Chief Technical Officer, has had 26 years of prior experience in applying Math to Engineering needs (at, e.g., Lockheed Missiles & Xerox). She had also managed very large engineering organizations in developing advanced Electro-Mechanical technologies & Systems Integration at Xerox. After retiring from Xerox as a Fellow, she was a Professor of Math at the University of Rochester for 5 years before retiring (the 2nd time) to ultimately return to further develop & productize HPD.
- Sabina Saib (Ph.D. in Computer Engineering), Chief Software Officer, has had 40 years of prior experience in embedded computer applications (at, e.g., ITT & Cisco Systems). After retiring from Cisco, where she was a Department Director, she joined Variability Institute.
- Mohammad Noori (Ph.D. in. Civil Engineering), Chief Technical Advisor, has over38 years of experience as a recognized scholar in the field of Stochastic Mechanics, seismic isolation and data centric engineering. His work on modeling nonlinear and hysteretic and nonlinear systems, known as BWBN, and their response under random vibration, has been implemented in major structural analysis software such as OpenSees and ABAQUS. For a summary of his distinguished career, including academic leadership roles and extensive list of publications please see https://www.routledge.com/authors/i21465-mohammad-noori. Noori is an ASME fellow and is currently a professor of Mechanical Engineering at CalPoly in San Luis Obispo.
- Chun Li (M.S. in Mechanical Engineering), Chief Consultant, has had 35 years of prior experience in developing software for engineering needs (at, e.g., Boeing & Xerox). After retiring from Xerox, he became the chief developer of the HPD
- Variability Institute has been a self-funded start-up, just now making its public appearance.
- Knowing the huge need for HPD and the huge impact it will make on the applications arena, we are seeking wide deployment, or be acquired (see Products).
** As stated, three of us are late retirees. Why have we partially sacrificed typical enjoyment of our golden years? – Because we are driven by (i) the tremendous advancement that HPD is that will enable major & pervasive changes in thinking & working with Variability and (ii) wanting to pass what has been incorporated into HPD down to posterity. Our aim is to (a) enable HPD take hold in both academia and applications arenas and (b) transfer our expertise to a team of mathematicians & software engineers who will propagate its deployment and continue its advancement.